Saturday, May 18, 2013

“There is no real ending. It’s just the place where you stop the story.” Frank Herbert

There have been so many who have come and gone… yet I’ve held on to this baby since 2005?! I’m not sure why exactly. A lot of people have made the “commitment” to start a blog and all too soon, their posts become less and less until, well, it’s been 2 years since they’ve last updated anything. I can’t remember why I started mine back in the day. I think it probably had something to do with the fact that I love to write, and sometimes I think I’m funny, and that my friends are very funny and we do weird things. Some people love to read it and gander at the pictures I’ve posted, and then sometimes I wonder who actually is reading it and looking at the pictures. I don’t write like I used to but have used it mainly to post pictures of various events and what have yous. I’ve been through the peaks and valleys of blogs being brand new, to un-cool, to trendy, to money making machines and I’ve kept at it. When 2013 rolled around, I started thinking. Social media has taken a hold of so many people, and I think it’s a good thing to embrace as we move forward into the virtual world, but I also think that there comes a point when privacy and things that you love should be kept close to you. I fully support anyone who wants to write about their life (unless that only consists of constantly posting pictures of just yourself, complaining about your constant migraines or your singleness status, or writing hate-filled things. You have a right to share your opinion, I get that, and I have a right to not read it. Ain’t nobody got time for that! J) I turn 30 today. This blog has pretty much captured most of my 20s… at least a lot of the good parts anyways. So I think it’s time to leave it behind and move on. Something I’ve learned as this social world evolves is that I really value quality time away from the internet/TV/social media/smart phones/etc. Nothing drives me more crazy than when you’re in a car with someone and they’re driving with their phone on their lap. Or you’re at dinner and their phone is on the table. You may be thinking… what does that have to do with a blog? You’re right, I don’t think it actually does have anything to do with this blog (but I figured I might as well complain about something since I said not to before I sign off. Ha) But in terms of quality time, it is something I value. I want to take the time to really get to know people, not just through blogs or Twitter or Instagram and I want the same in return. I want someone to actually tell me they had a great day and not just tag me in a post about it on Facebook. I turn 30 today and this is my blog’s swan song, my last hurrah, the curtain call. As L. Frank Baum once said in The Marvelous Land of Oz, “Everything has to come to an end, sometime.” It has been fun and I can’t wait to re-read some of these posts in the future (filled with eye-rolls and laughs). Thank you for your comments and continuing to read, or stalk, whatever since 2005. Even though the blog won’t be here, Jill the Thrill would be and I’d love to chat with you. I could think of no better way to end this than with words from my favorite movie of all time. There’s a sad sort of clanging from the clock in the hall and the bells of the steeple too. And up in the nursery an absurd little bird is popping out to say “cuckoo”. Regretfully they tell us, but firmly they compel us, to say goodbye, to you. So long, farewell, auf Wiedersehen, good night, I hate to go and leave this pretty sight ….. I flit, I float, I fleetly flee, I fly. The sun has gone to bed and so must I. Goodbye.

No comments: